Wednesday, October 29, 2008

New Life Bird




Birders are always on the look out for a new lifer or life bird, a bird that is new to their life list. As I have added more and more life birds to my list they become harder to find. I watch the bird list serves for birds that have been spotted that I have never seen in the field and sometimes take a whole day traveling to find a bird that has been reported. Last year
Frank and I took a day off work to drive out to Fish Springs in the west desert to see a Painted Bunting, and we did see it.




Well last Friday I found a new life bird for Utah. Though I have seen this bird before down in Arizona, this was the first time I had seen it in Utah. The bird was the Eurasian Collared Dove. There were 30 or more in the big tree at the gate of Farmington Bay. It is always a thrill to get a new bird on my list. My target bird for this winter is the Evening Grosbeak, a bird that has eluded me for many years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dave, catie, and baby b. said...

dad you can delete these stupid lists if you want...i'm not sure what they are...just click on the little trash can that's below the "comment"

i can believe how many birds you have seen now!

love catie