Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Marsh



The Marsh

From my childhood I’ve loved the marsh and all its bountiful fare
The sights and sounds of plants and animals has always drawn me there
The musty smell of the swamp brings back fond memories
Of walking through the marsh and enjoying it’s variety
Cattails, bulrushes, feathery grass and all the sounds I heard
But most of all, the thing I love is to see the beautiful birds
I used to see ducks and geese that’s all I thought there were
But as I paid attention I learned there is so much more
As I take the time to identify the birds I see
Their diversity and beauty have opened a whole new world for me
Now I see mallards, pintails, green wing, blue wing, and cinnamon teal
The pretty little ruddy duck, grebes, Canada Geese, and mergansers, words can’t express how good it makes me feel
I see avocets, stilts, egrets, ibis, and godwits
Killdeer, herons, phalaropes, and willets
It’s not just birds, my eyes are opened my life is much more full
I see things I never saw before not only in birds but also in people
I don’t just see birds or people I see the individual it helps me care for all
I notice flowers, trees, and animals their names I love to recall
It’s filled my soul with a desire to know all God’s creations
My spirit has been freed it’s opened my imagination
The most important thing I’ve gained is respect for all that live
I try not to just see people but individuals with gifts to give
What ever it takes to open our eyes to appreciate God’s creations
Whether it’s nature, art, music, literature, or other passions
We need to take the time to experience the greatness of this earth
That we’re a part of and have dominion over by virtue of our birth
It is our responsibility to respect all that God has created
To care for, use wisely, and protect, to become educated
I still love the marsh and visit whenever I can
It testifies to me, of God’s divinity and the greatness of His plan

No comments: