Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I have been tagged














1. I read the entire World Book Encyclopedia in the bathroom. It took a couple of years, I started out looking up something about animals for one of the kids when you guys were in elementary school and ended up reading the entire A volume. I next took out the B volume to read about birds and read all of the B volume and it went from there.

2. When we were kids my brother Ken and I used to come up with all kinds of ways to play fight. We started with hanger fights, they were painful and then we heard about a kid that got hit with a hanger in the corner of his eye and tore it so we stopped fighting with hangers and kept a bowl of pennies in our room and got in some crazy penny fights. We also used to play chicken in our front yard with ski poles. We would start out with our legs spread as far apart as we could get them and then throw the ski poles between each others legs until our feet were almost together (what were we thinking). Ken was once in our backyard and shot an arrow in the air, I was laying on the grass in the front yard and it came down ans hit me in the leg, I still have the scar. He also through a pair of scissors at me while I was running across the room and stuck them in my foot, I have that scar too. This was all in fun, it's a good thing we got along.


3. I like Durian, most of you probably have not even heard of it, well google it for additional info. It is known by some as the king of fruits and others as the fruit that smells like hell and tastes like heaven. It is illegal to take a Durian on an airplane and in some countries they are banned from hotels. The the smell is like dirty diapers the taste is like a mix of carmel and garlic which doesn't sound all that good but oddly it is. It could also be used as a weapon since it is a large fruit about the size of a coconut with the husk and just as hard but it also has large spikes all over it. Fear Factor used to have Durian and and another Filipino delicacy balut on the show as something that was supposed to be gross and disgusting. Andrew Zimmern from Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel who will eat the most disgusting things you can imagine like bugs, spiders and any internal organ from any animal, cannot handle Durian "what a wimp". Imagine a fruit about the size of a coconut just as hard and with inch long spikes all over it the smell when you open it could clear a room, in fact it is recommended that Durian should always be opened outside, the meat is a yellowish goo the consistency of custard. But all that said it is quite good. I especially like Durian ice cream. Don't knock it till you try it.


4. As far as I know I am the only American to drive a Tricycle for fare in the Philippines. It was one of the funnest jobs I ever had.


5. My favorite James Bond movie is Live and Let Die. It came out when I was in high school and I fell in love with Jane Seymour, up to that time I thought was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Of course that was before I met Nery


6. Probably one of the worst things I have ever done was; while we were staying with friends in California for a couple of days on our way to the Philippines we were waiting for Sunday dinner. Our host was taking forever to get dinner cooked and she was making "Chop Suey" that had ground beef in it "yuck". Spencer was about six and came up to me and said he was hungry and wanted to know when we could eat. I asked him if he wanted to go for a walk so he and I walked about a half mile down the road to a McDonald's and and ate Big Macs. This started a tradition that went on the entire time we lived in the Philippines. Every Sunday after church Spencer and I would sneak off to a hamburger joint in Butuan and and have a hamburger.
7. I decided to add this a bit late. When I was on my mission in the Philippines I used to eat a Balut every Monday morning before playing basketball. There is a series of pictures above showing a Balut. It is a Duck egg that is cooked and eaten just about 3 days before it would hatch. They are quite disgusting but a delicacy in the Philippines. I have tried several times since my mission to get one down but I can no longer eat them. I guess I don't have anyone to impress anymore.


Not nearly as comical or interesting as yours Catie but there you go.



1 comment:

dave, catie, and baby b. said...

That is quite the list Steve. It is hard for me to even get down the story of the Balut, let alone attempt to eat it.
I love the hamburger story. Spencer must have thought that Sunday was not only a day of rest and church, but a day of hamburgers as well.