Friday, November 14, 2008

A couple of pet peeves

I have a few pet peeves that really get on my nerves, one is people who are too lazy to return grocery carts to the store or at least to the cart stalls provided. It always seems to be the people who I would think that would get the most upset if a runaway cart hit their car that commit this offence. People who drive BMW's , Lexus, Suburbans etc. So to those who are too lazy or just discourteous please return the cart to the cart stall show a little consideration for others.

Well that off my chest I want to comment on one that hit close to home several times this last week. Why do people turn their brains off when they get in or around automobiles. The etiquette on the road for drivers, bicyclers, and pedestrians seems to be getting worse all the time. Last week Nery and I were coming west on 2600 so in Woods Cross and the light just before you go under the overpass turned green when we were still a good 30 yards from the intersection. I was keeping my eye on the car sitting in the left turn lane (a habit I have developed since I started riding my motorcycle) and could tell the lady in the "Suburban" was going to do something stupid. She was yakking on her cell phone and just as we entered the intersection she decided to run the red light. Fortunately I was going slow and like I said felt like she would do something stupid, I hit my breaks and horn at the same time. She looked at me like I was crazy but she did stop. This crazy soccer mom in addition to talking on the phone had several children in the car with her. I mouthed to her "get off your stupid phone and drive your car". Well that was the first incident. Later that afternoon we were driving on Orchard Drive and I saw a lady walking down the side walk, without even looking up she stepped off the curb and into the busy traffic on orchard drive. Again I had to hit my brakes to avoid hitting her. I honked and she still didn't even look up. What is the matter with people? The best one thought happened Wednesday morning as Nery and I were pulling into work. We were in the left turn lane on North Temple waiting for the light to change so we could turn onto 1950 west and into work. As the light changed this guy on a bicycle decided to cross North Temple against the light, for those of you not familiar with this road it is very busy and the speed limit is 40 mph which means most people probably drive 50 mph. The cyclist made it across the eastbound lanes because we all saw it coming. the guy in the left westbound lane had to hit his brakes not to hit the cyclist but the guy driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee was about 50 yards up the street when the light changed and was going full blast and since there was a car in the left lane, could not see the idiot on the bike. As the cyclist passed the guy in the left lane and gave him a smart alack wave the Cherokee plowed through the intersection and right into the cyclist. The bike flew down the street and the cyclist flew in the air, smashed into the windshield and up over the jeep a good 10 to 12 feet in the air and smashed down on the asphalt. It was a surreal experience all of us waiting at the intersection could see what was about to happen but none of us could do anything about it. The good news is that he survived with several broken bones and a concussion but will be ok. This was 110% the cyclist fault but I'm sure that doesn't make the driver of the car that hit him feel much better.

People we need to use our heads. Cars can kill, every time we get behind the wheel we need to keep that foremost in our minds. When we are walking across a street remember stop, look and listen then when it is all clear go. Even if you have the right of way don't step in front of a moving car that is not a fight you are going to win. Bicyclist have gotten too cocky you are required to follow the same laws that apply to cars you need to stop at stop signs and red lights but more and more I see bikes plow through intersection without even slowing down.

There I got it off my chest I don't know if it will do any good but I feel better. Now a word to my fellow motorcyclists. Most motorcycles I see abide the traffic laws, there are a few though mostly those who ride bullet bikes that feel more of a need to show off, please knock it off, you make drivers hate us all. Again a fight between a car and a motorcycle the motorcycle's going to loose.

Drive safe everybody

No comments: