Sunday, November 30, 2008

Getting Started With Birding







When I got my first Field Guide Thanks to Frank Clawson my brother in law and began keeping my Life List, I started with Waterfowl. The main reason is they are very easy to ID, they also come in several species and and assorted sizes and colors so they are pretty to look at. Waterfowl include Ducks, Geese and Swans. The most common Geese in Utah are Canada Geese, we also get Snow Geese, Ross's Geese and several variations of Canada Geese like the much smaller Cackling Goose. Ducks are the fun ones, most common are Northern Pintails, Northern Shovlers, Gadwalls, and of course Mallards. Swans we get Tundra Swans, a few Trumpeter Swans and occasionally a sub species of the Tundra called a Bewick's Swan. In the hopes that I might spark some interest in some of you to take up birding I have posted a new album on our Picasa Web Albums of Waterfowl. I hope you will take a look and see the beautiful variety of Waterfowl we have in our own back yard. Of course if your interest is piqued you can set up a tour with me, I will be happy to take you out and get you started on your life list.
Enjoy
Steve

No comments: